Monday, February 20, 2012

Thin Mint Sleeves


I picked up my Girl Scout cookie order from an old friend today (so great to see you, Julie!). Admittedly, I didn't even make it out of the parking lot before I had the Thin Mints open and started tackling my first sleeve. I started thinking, what other cookie or treat gets as much "I ate the sleeve in one sitting" attention as this cookie? To prove my point, I just finished the 2012 Newbery Award Winner Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos. There is a hilarious widower, Mrs. Volker, whose hands have become so arthritic she has to dip them in paraffin wax every day just to get 20 minutes of work from them. On more than one occasion, she has her faithful summer assistant, eleven year-old Jack, line a sleeve of Thin Mints on the edge of the counter so that when she is alone she can come along and sweep them into her mouth like hockey pucks. Is that perfect, or what!!??  I may not have consumed my sleeves in that exact manner (yet), but having a sleeve for dinner (or lunch or breakfast) is most definitely in my arsenal. Funny thing is that I am never tempted to buy the "knock off" grocery store Thin Mints during the rest of the year..has to be Girl Scouts. Anyone else have this obsession? I know you do because, as I said, I hear about sleeves of Thin Mints getting inhaled every single spring. Off to find another sleeve.

No comments:

Post a Comment